Nightingale Nurse Training Schools Migrating Great Nursing Car Around the World
The Nightingale Nurse Training Schools, set-up under their namesake’s reputation (Florence Nightingale)for superior nursing skills knowledge and training the infrastructure to train a new generation of Nurses, who could spread the word of their great training and share their skills as the migrated across the world.
The training school was independent but linked to a hospital:
- The hospital matron had sole authority over the probationer nurses
- The training school provided a secure ‘home’ for the probationers, i.e a nurses home
- The teaching of probationers was by hospital staff, sisters and doctors
- The probationers were assessed by the sisters and matron
- The probationers were paid a basic wage during their training
- The probationer’s contract bound them, after their training, to accept a position in a hospital of the Fund’s choice and it was their policy to send out groups of trained nurses to spread the Nightingale system of training to other hospitals.