The church of St George The Martyr has been documented since 1122 but the present church was built between 1734 and 1736 by the architect, John Price.
In the middle ages Borough High Street ran south from London Bridge and at it’s end stood the church of St George with fields lying beyond.
In 1951 -1952, a stained glass window was installed with a figure of Charles Dickens fictional character, ‘Little Dorrit, incorporated in it.
Charles Dickens wrote the story of ‘Little Dorrit in 1855 – 1857, whom, he had baptised and married in St Georges.
Many Londoners were baptised and married at St Georges, as the borough of Southwark became one of the most densely populated areas in C19th England